[GreenYes] CAW shilling y?

Title: [GreenYes] CAW shilling y?

Hi Brad -

Dan has just sent out his own response, but this is mine, also from
Urban Ore.

Reuse is a cross-materials category and includes all the other
categories of resources.  Anything included as a Reusable wouldn't be
counted in the physical-properties categories.  Dan Knapp developed
this set of 12 Master Categories (except for the 13th one called "no
market"), and I helped a bit, so the list is copyrighted by him and me
but can be used by anyone if credit is given.  Its point is to profile
the discard supply by physical properties for the purpose of sending
everything to recycling.  The City of Berkeley used the set in a
composition analysis done by an engineering contractor, and there was
nothing left out and nothing left over, so the set has been shown to
be comprehensive.  The engineers required a couple of "miscellaneous"
categories similar to this set's "no market" category, but the
components can be divided into the other recycling categories.  Reuse
spans the other categories because objects from any of the physical-
properties categories might be reusable - metal shelving, wooden desks
or lumber, paint (chemicals), plastic plant pots, clothing, and so on.

In this chart Reuse is shown as comprising only 2 percent of the
discard supply, which may be an underestimate for objects that
arrive.  Also, Reuse expands when reuse facilities exist to handle
objects carefully rather than letting them be broken and rendered
unreusable.  Dan's generic estimate is that reusable goods are about 5
percent of the discard stream.  The study done in Berkeley using these
categories found 2 percent, but Urban Ore was already established as a
diversion business, so not everything showed up that would be dumped
in other places without reuse operators specializing in this niche.
Also, Urban Ore staff might have thought more was reusable than the
engineers could see; it's amazing what the public will buy as-is.  We
used to requre that salvagers have sales experience before salvaging
so they'd understand.  These days we estimate about 75 percent of our
supply is delivered to our door, bypassing the tipping face completely.

The per-ton value of $550 for reusables is fair, perhaps a bit low by
today's sale prices.  Paintings are worth more per ton than bricks, so
the overall per-ton value depends on the mix.  Objects may be worth
more when delivered to the reuse facility by their owner than they are
after being loaded up by a contractor or hauler, then dumped, then
salvaged.  But $550 is a pretty good estimate for materials from all
sources.

Most of Urban Ore's reusable goods would have been landfilled if we
weren't there.  We salvage them from the dump, pick them up when
people call, or receive them when people bring them to us 360 days a
year.  Retail categories include doors, windows, sinks, tubs, toilets,
lumber, fencing, tile, marble and granite, pipe (metal, plastic, and
ceramic), garden supplies and furniture, cabinets, hardware and tools,
sporting goods, bed frames, home and office furniture, lighting,
books, music, art supplies, office supplies, home electronics,
software, housewares, and clothing.  After 28 years in business in an
urban area we have accumulated nearly three acres of stuff.  But we
helped a tiny coastal community in Oregon develop a 12-category zero
waste facility, and although the store is on a far smaller scale, I'd
guess their reusables fall into similar categories.

Valuation is an interesting process.  Recycling recovers just the
resources, so an aluminum can is a can is a can, and its value can be
looked up on a current market chart.  But reusable goods are valued as
individual items.  A door, for example, may have been mass produced
and was exactly like every other door in its batch.  But it went into
a particular house and stayed there, and when the house settled, the
top had to be shaved a little.  Then its knob and lockset was changed
to something else, and it was painted a chosen color, and it
accumulated individual scuffs as part of the everyday process of
living.  Over 20-30 years, it has become an individual.  Therefore it
is priced as an individual according to size, type, quality of
manufacture, and particularities of condition.

When we helped Recycle Ann Arbor set up their reuse program, they
wanted to interview contractors to see if there would be enough
building materials available.  We wrote interview questions.  One of
them asked if, when they're remodeling, they would take out old
cabinets differently if they had a reuse facility to take them to.
The answer was yes - they would bash less and deconstruct more if
there were a reuse facility.  So if there's a facility, its existence
will change behavior.

Hope this helps.

Mary Lou Van Deventer
Operations Manager