[GreenYes] Re: Informed solid waste management

A previous note said in part:

We need to stay focused, as Rick Anthony points out, on developing effective resource management programs. Integrated waste management" is not the answer. "zero waste" is the answer.
I agree with the first sentence, but disagree with the rest of the note . I think that it is more important to minimize total environmental impact, and provide a weighting or "valuation" to the impacts (an ounce of mercury emitted to the air has more impact than a pound of carbon dioxide, in my view).
I think that it order to do that, we need to take a more holistic/systems approach, which is what true integrated waste (or better, resource) management is all about.

John Reindl, Recycling Manager
Dane County, WI