[GreenYes] Re: Informed solid waste management

At 04:15 PM 9/26/2006 -0500, Stephan Pollard <stephan.pollard@no.address> wrote:
>All,
>
>Few would argue that most of us want to do the
>"right thing." Similarly, few would argue that
>fully informed decisions are anything less than
>optimal. However, many decisions involving
>solid waste management are made that are not
>fully informed. The suggestion has been made by
>Barlaz et al., (2003a) that the public is not
>always able to separate that which sounds
>appealing from true resource recovery. It has
>become clear that while there are often positive
>externalities (benefits) to our "do-good"
>actions there are also negative externalities
>(costs) associated with our actions. These
>unaccounted for external costs imply that our
>activities are inefficient. In this
>circumstance society's net welfare is not
>maximized and is therefore suboptimal.

Naa. I don't buy this. It sounds
oh-so-reasonable above but read down and see where it really goes.

Barlaz, Vasuki, etc, are incineration
promoters. When the DSWA (Vasuki) brought them
to Delaware a few months ago as part of a scheme
to promote another burner, they wouldn't provide
the inputs to their "LCA" model. For years, he
has brought in people to argue that we should
shut down (or not start up) recycling programs
and go for the burn. But we know that garbage
incineration is bad news for a whole host of reasons.

This sort of pseudo-rational approach is easily
used to manipulate people in favor of particular
interests, just as, say, elections are easily
used to manipulate rather than empower communities.

We need to stay focused, as Rick Anthony points
out, on developing effective resource management
programs. An increasing proportion of the recent
posts on this list have been about burning or
cooking garbage. This is not a helpful trend
from my point of view. "Integrated waste
management" is not the answer. "zero waste" is the answer.

Alan Muller
Green Delaware