Re: [GreenYes] Polystyrene Food Containers
On 28 Jun 2002 at 12:06, The Eden Sterling Company wrote:

> As an organic gardener, I can tell you that this is far from organic
> and is not recommended for the soil. For aeration purposes, adding
> organic compost and using mulches to retain water is the best
> practice. I think that it would be better for the environment to
> properly landfill the polystyrene containers. It would be best for
> them to actually stop eating meat, which would reduce their
> consumption of polystyrene and aid the environment and commercial meat
> production is very environmentally unfriendly.
>
> Peace,
> Ben
> > From: Aluotto, Jeffrey >
> We had a question from a resident regarding the polystyrene containers
> that come wrapped with meat products (poultry, etc.). The resident was
> wondering if that material could be finely chopped and used for
> aeration purposes in a home garden.

Thanx Ben - also, polystyrene comes from fossil sources, and so could never be
considered sustainable - the entire chain is quite toxic, and if my homework is well
remembered, it will again be a menace when it enter the environment over time...

a starch based alternative, or paper, and of course, re-usable packaging, would do
wonders!

regards

Muna