[GreenYes] RE: income/wealth effects on waste generation
Regarding Wayne Turner's request for information on
effects of income and wealth (as measured by
household property value) on waste generation rates,
there are preliminary results for King County, WA
cities described in my newsletter for Sept and Oct
1999 available online at zerowaste.com. The results
are preliminary in that we are currently conducting
a solid waste collection efficiency study involving
all cities and unincorporated areas in King County
as part of the organics collection pilots that we
are assisting the County with. The current study is
gathering more precise data on important variables
such as yard size (lot size minus house footprint,
etc. ) that need to be held constant to accurately
measure impacts of income and wealth.

The previous study detailed in those two issues of
The Monthly UnEconomist does point out how income
and wealth have significant impacts on garbage and
recycling generation and management behavior. For
example, higher income households generate more
garbage and also buy more garbage collection
services, for example, by subscribing for additional
or bigger cans or carts. As a result it is not
obvious whether higher income households will put
more garbage in each can (i.e., increased density).

Wealthier households, on the other hand, definitely
choose more cans over heavier cans. Whether this is
because wealth is a better measure of permanent
(long term) income than is annual income (which can
fluctuate substantially from year to year and thus
be far away from long term average income in any
given year), or this is because wealth is highly
correlated with age and the desire to have lighter
cans to move around, is hard to say.

Lisa Skumatz also has some results, I believe, on
income's impact on garbage generation. Check out her
webiste which is at sera.com I believe.

Results on our current study should be available by
end of this year or early next year. The current
study will also include an analysis of several
different configurations for organics collection -
e.g., alternating week organics and garbage
collections versus weekly collections of both
streams.

Dr. Jeffrey Morris
Sound Resource Management - Bellingham Office
112 Ohio Street, Suite 202
Bellingham, WA 98225

360-738-0255
www.soundresource.com or www.zerowaste.com