RE: [GreenYes] RE: Recycling's Future and Pigovian taxes
Thanks, Jeff...do you happen to know the etymology of the word?

>>> "Aluotto, Jeffrey" <Jeffrey.Aluotto@hamilton-co.org> 02/26/02 04:05PM >>>
Correct me if I'm wrong, but a Pigovian tax would be a tax on each unit of a
"wrong" (as opposed to a good) produced by a certain activity.  These taxes
are typically used for correcting situations where externalities exist and
to provide an economic, as opposed to regulatory, means of reducing the
negative activity.  Most often applied to pollution cases.  In this case, a
pigovian tax on waste would be on each ton, cubic yard, etc. of waste
landfilled.

Jeff

-----Original Message-----
From: Wayne Turner [mailto:WAYNET@cityofws.org]
Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2002 2:05 PM
To: Reindl@co.dane.wi.us; greenyes@grrn.org; anderson@recycleworlds.org;
hspie@telus.net
Subject: [GreenYes] RE: Recycling's Future and Pigovian taxes

Would someone care to enlighten me about what a Pigovian tax is?

B. Wayne Turner
City of Winston-Salem
Utilities Division
phone: (336) 727 8418
email: waynet@cityofws.org

>>> "Reindl, John" <Reindl@co.dane.wi.us> 02/26/02 09:39AM >>>
As noted in earlier email notes, several European countries are using
Pigovian taxes on solid waste disposal, including both landfills and
incinerators. This includes Denmark, Sweden, Norway and the UK. In Norway,
the tax was set after an extensive study was done on the externalities of
solid waste disposal and the tax was set at $40 a ton at landfills and
incinerators without energy recovery, somewhat less at incinerators with
energy recovery. An interesting report on evaluating the externalities of
solid waste management is the Ph.D thesis of Inger Brisson of Denmark, who
did her doctorate under Professor David Pearce in the UK. A report on her
work is on the Internet at http://www.akf.dk/eng/waste.htm
<http://www.akf.dk/eng/waste.htm> .

tax has been used to fund environmental programs specifically. Instead, the
view seems to be that because the disposal of solid waste imposes costs on
the general public, it is sufficient to use the tax money for general
purposes.

The field of economics that assigns economic values to environmental impacts
is often called environmental valuation. In Denmark, a national institute of
environmental valuation is being established and the controversial author
Bjørn Lomborg has been chosed to head this institute, according to an
article in today's Danish newspaper Politiken.

Besides imposing taxes on the environmental impacts of materials disposal,
it does not appear that Pigovian taxes have been applied in these countries
on the extraction of raw materials. Indeed, in at least several of these
countries, subsidies are given for virgin materials, as we do in the US.

If anyone would like other references to studies done in these countries on
the economic costs of externalities from solid waste, please let me know. In
return, I would appreciate knowing of such studies from other parts of the
world.

John Reindl, Recycling Manager
Dane County, WI