Re: [GreenYes] Fw: QUERY: What to do with used tires? [Q fromBrazil]
Hi Marcelo,

Your inquiry regarding tires was posted to the Green Yes Listserve, of which I am a member.  I looked at waste tires in relation to work I did for the US EPA on hazardous waste combustion in cement kilns some years ago.  Based on this work, I concluded that disposal of whole waste tires (which are not considered hazardous waste) in cement kilns is actually a very good solution.

The extremely high temperatures in the kiln, combined with long retention times in the burner, lead to very clean combustion, and nearly every region of the world has them.  Combustion in kilns does not generate the black smoke that one sees when tires are burned in open pits.  The metals found in the waste tires (either through steel belts or through additives to improve braking, wear, etc.) are mostly entrained in the cement clinker, and generally not released to the air.

I do suspect that US kilns may have more air emissions controls than do Brazilian cement kilns, so you should carefully evaluate any likely increases in air emissions in the Brazilian setting.  I would guess these would not be significant, though.  Using waste tires for energy also displaces the use of fossil fuels to heat the kilns, an added benefit.

While reusing crumb rubber, setting up reefs, retreading, etc. are all nice uses of waste tires, they require so few tires as to be almost symbolic.  Energy recovery from tires is one of the few uses that can take up significant volumes of waste tires in a short period of time.  Depending on the supply and demand situation, kilns may have to be paid a bit to take each tire, or they may to get it.  In either case, the recovery of energy will likely make this outlet more economic than other solutions.

If you are faced with a health crisis with 20 people dying per month from mosquitoes breeding in waste tire piles, there would not likely be too much doubt that burning tires in kilns would lead to an overall reduction in health risks.

Hope this is helpful.

Doug Koplow

Doug Koplow
Earth Track, Inc.