RE: [GreenYes] Staples Takeback Feedback
I seem to recall that Staple's was also somewhat at the center (would that be off-center?) of attention for their dubious involvement with Amercia Recycles Day this past November.  Despite Staples' publicly stated motivation to take back computers this past weekend, can we all agree that it just may have had something to do with increasing sales?  And, based on what I've read, there was no guarantee that the computers would, in fact, be recycled.

This made me recall a recent post by someone on this listserv who was chastising others for thier cynicism and assuming that the American business model was driven mostly by corporate greed.  Someone else posted that when corporate altruism does surface, rarely though it may be, we must take heart and cheeer them on.  My pom poms are getting faded and dusty.

B. Wayne Turner
City of Winston-Salem
Utilities Division
phone: (336) 727 8418
email: waynet@cityofws.org

>>> Kennedy Cheri L DLVA <KennedyCL@NSWC.NAVY.MIL> 02/19/02 10:27AM >>>
All - I passed word about Staples plans to take back computers last weekend
and this is what I found in my email this morning.  I was disappointed.

Ms Kennedy,

	Turns out the information you received re the Staples PC recycling
offer was incomplete.  Staples would accept a PC for recycling ONLY if the
customer bought either a new Pentium IV PC or at least $100 worth of other
supplies.  So they weren't really being good corporate citizens, just trying
to increase sales.  I discovered this on Sunday when I tried to turn in an
old computer at the Fredericksburg Staples.

Mike Redding

Ms. Cheri L. Kennedy
Pollution Prevention Program
NAVSWC Dahlgren (Code XDC8)