Re: [GreenYes] Re: Single Stream Processing - Pro and Con
The picture you paint is rosier than what I see out there, Gary. The
'convenience' provided to residents is at the taxpayer's -- and Mother
Nature's -- expense. Oddly, we hold businesses to a higher standard of
environmental performance than the government. We support single-stream
recycling because it is 'efficient', and 'convenient' but we rails
self-righteously against the purveyors of 'convenience products' because
they don't care about the environment. We can't have it both ways.
Single-stream recycling, delivered as a monopoly at public expense, is an
affront to the environment, a sop to the producers of the products that are
degraded only slightly less than they would be if they went straight to the
landfill, and a missed opportunity to develop a real fix.

Until we peel the fingers of the municipal waste management infrastructure
off its tight grip on waste, we are never going to get a fix.

H.