RE: [GreenYes] Re: 2002 Recycling Today Paper Recycling Conference Report
Dan,
Thanks for your invitation. We will send you an article. My point in your panel representation is that there are more than two sides to this discussion. There are very many sides....There are those of us that run large urban residential and multifamily programs and are responsible for all of the program elements - including the collection and the processing. There are those who do not run any programs at all but develop theories on recycling practices by using information that they attain and perhaps their own instincts. There are those that have the primary concern of collection. There are those who have the primary concern of processing. Etcetera.

Your panel provides a consultant that gets paid to design these facilities, a publicly held waste company that embraces this technology because it allows them to use existing types of waste collection equipment and a paper company that has concerns over the quality of paper. This leaves out a considerable segment of recyclers that are responsible for providing collection, processing and all other program elements for a specific geographic area - including behavior change/education. It also leaves out the environmental/highest and best recovery perspective. Although there is cross-over amongst these groups your panel is clearly heavily weighted to one perspective.

I have been communicating with your group for many months in the planning of this event to try to interest your conference planners to cover a more varied perspective. Although GBB was just recently selected - your planners informed me that our perspective could be an alternate but was not a primary interest. although my organization does not need to be represented  (we just completed a 14-month study that compared the various collection and processing methods) someone from this programmatic and environmental perspective should be.

Sincerely,
Susan Hubbard

Susan Hubbard
President/CEO
Eureka Recycling ( a non profit organization
created by the Neighborhood Energy Consortium)
624 Selby Ave.
Saint Paul, MN  55104
651/222-7678
Fax: 651/221-9831

>>> "Dan Sandoval" <dsandoval@gie.net> 04/27/02 11:36AM >>>
The concept of single stream operations is one that appears to be gaining
quite a bit of interest as of late. As Ms. Hubbard points out, there are
concerns that the "pro" single stream advocates will be the only voice heard
at our conference. Our goal is to attempt, as best as possible, to give
enough say so on both sides of the story -- both advocates and opponents.
While we always hope that people will leave our program more informed, the
reality is that at best the speakers will "peak" the curiousity of
attendees, rather than just simply sway them.

What I can offer is a forum for both sides of this debate to present their
arguments. I am extending an invitation to either side to submit an article
highlighting the benefits (or drawbacks) of this method of collection.

My colleague on the print side, Brian Taylor, is more than willing to
provide space in an upcoming issue of Recycling Today. As the person in
charge of our web content side, I also am offering the opportunity for
parties on either side of this issue the opportunity to express their
viewpoint on our web site.

If anyone would like to discuss this further you may contact me at my e-mail
address dsandoval@recyclingtoday.com or call me at (216) 961-4130.

Sincerely,

Dan Sandoval
Recycling Today Group