RE: [GreenYes] RE: Recycling's Future and Pigovian taxes
Re Pigovian etymology:

My guess is "A. C. Pigou, The Economics of Welfare (4th ed.; London:
Macmillan, 1932)."

This apparent source of "Pigovian" appears in a footnote to Chapter 5,
"Private and Social Cost," of

Buchanan, James M. Cost and Choice: An Inquiry in Economic Theory.
Indianapolis, IN: Liberty
          Fund, Inc., 1999. [Online] available from
          http://www.econlib.org/library/Buchanan/buchCv6c5.html; accessed

I'm not sure about the pronunciation.

BTW, despite the fact that we were unaware of this term, the City of San
Jose established a Disposal Facility Tax of $13 per ton in 1992.  It has had
the unintended effect of fostering diversion in various ways, some better
than others.  California also allows a host fee of $3.00 per ton to be
charged on waste entering a city or county.

Skip Lacaze
Civic Services Manager
Integrated Waste Management Division
Environmental Services Department
777 N 1st Street, Suite 300
San Jose, CA 95112

voice:	408/277-3994
fax:	408/277-3669
mailto:skip.lacaze@ci.sj.ca.us
www.sjrecycles.org
100% San Jose. Recycle where you Live, Work and Play