[GreenYes] Re: Performance of Rural Solid Waste Convenience Centers pay by the bag systems compared to 'free systems'

Hello Blair:

The Del Norte County, California  facility might be of interest to you.  Located in one of the most remote, scenic, and rural parts of the state, it's a reuse, recycling, and wasting transfer station, purpose-built on a 14 acre site.  It features many different unloading stations for different materials at different rates.  People are encouraged to minimize actual wastes by separating upstream and delivering them clean for reuse or recycling disposal.  If they don't, they pay more because mixed-waste dumping is the most expensive disposal option.

We'll be talking about the facility at a workshop August 6 at CRRA's annual conference in Burlingame, California.  An Urban Ore design team led by Mark Gorrell, Architect, did the layout.  Mark will help me present the initial design, and Kevin Hendrick, who runs the facility, will also provide an update on its current performance.

Dan Knapp, Ph.D.
510-914-0074
Urban Ore, Inc. , a reuse and recycling company in Berkeley, California since 1980