[GreenYes] Performance of Rural Solid Waste Convenience Centers pay by the bag systems compared to 'free systems'

Hello,
On a much more prosaic note than the recent high flying discussions about zero waste --- Are there any studies/experience of communities that have solid waste convenience centers for disposal, especially in rural areas that have shifted from 'free' waste disposal  to 'fee' waste disposal e.g. pay-by-the-bag or by the pound/kG and how that change affected waste generation rates v. recycling and/or how the change interacted w/ the use of subscription waste haulers instead of self haul to the centers?
Our community has about 20,000 households in the unincorporated areas and about 500,000 (yes half a million) convenience center visits annually which we believe are predominantly from those rual households as urban households have weekly 'free' waste, recycling and brush collection at the curb -- granted that the centers are full-service w/ recycling, C&D disposal, brush, motor oil, filters, batteries, swap sheds, tires, electronics and bulky household item disposal, but it's all 'free' i.e.paid for  in the general fund.
We're examining alternatives to having a system of only that option v. laissez-faire waste hauling where any hauler can pick you up; some have 5 haulers in their area, not too efficient.
Thanks, happy strawberry full moon.

Blair Pollock
Solid Waste Planner
Orange County Solid Waste Management Department
P.O. Box 17177
Chapel Hill, NC 27516-7177
(919) 968-2788 or direct: (919) 968-2800 x161
(919) 932-2900 fax

VOLUNTEER  to help recycle more at Hog Day June 20 and June 21 and at the Eno River Festival July 4-6. Find out how: