[GreenYes] Re: RecycleBank Videos

A couple questions about the RecycleBank idea....
Is the RecycleBank idea only in practice in the greater phila. area?
>From what I can gather from the website, it seems as though people are
rewarded for the amount they recycle - which is certainly an
incentive. But what about *not producing* waste - recyclable or not?
Being rewarded for filling up your recycling container could result in
encouraging increasing consumption. Is there an incentive for reducing
one's waste or routinely being under or close to a minimal amount?
Wondering if this kind of system is in place anywhere or if it has
been tried.... pardon my naivete! I'm not currently involved in
running recycling programs but am researching the psychology of
different pro-environmental behaviors.
Regards,
Christa

Christa McDermott
Doctoral Candidate
Psychology & Women's Studies
University of Michigan

mcdc@no.address

Judge Scalia: "But you say (carbon dioxide) is (a pollutant), once it
goes up into the stratosphere and contributes to global warming."

Milkey (lawyer): "Respectfully, your honor, it is not the
stratosphere. It's the troposphere, from the ground up to nine miles
above."

Judge Scalia: "Whatever. I'm not a scientist. That's why I don't want
to have to deal with global warming, to tell you the truth."

-- November 29, 2006; U.S. Supreme Court, Massachusetts v. EPA