[GreenYes] Re: Beyond newspapers

There are threads on the original recycling programs from back maybe a year
or two ago. Clinton NJ and Berkeley CA (and many satellite programs sprang
up around these two centers very quickly) seem to claim the first modern
recycling programs in the late 60s where they did curbside pickups of a
sort. There were numerous paper drives, though, that I¹ve written about
before in a number of large urban centers during the second world war and,
of course, mobile rag collectors and other junk collectors go all the way
back to our earliest colonial days. Certainly SF in 1988 is not close to
correct. Philly is credited as being the first major city in the country to
have comprehensive municipal curbside (with a city ordinance making
recycling mandatory, that is) and that program began in 1987 (and there were
pilots and planning beginning in 1985).

Drop-offs, of course, have been around forever.

All this is to say, organized recycling has been around forever and is as
American as mom and apple pie. Hoorah!

db
--
David Biddle, Executive Director
<http://www.blueolives.blogspot.com>

215-247-3090 (desk)
215-432-8225 (cell)

<http://www.gpcrc.com>

Read In Business magazine to learn about sustainable
businesses in communities across North America!
Go to: <http://www.jgpress.com/inbusine.htm>