[GreenYes] Re: Beyond newspapers

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006, arthur boone wrote:
> I believe the first large jurisdiction to take other papers in a
> curbside program than newspaper was San Francisco about 1988; is that
> correct? Arthur R. Boone

I would assume David Biddle could provide more information on this, but in
1987 Philadelphia passed Bill 1251A - a mandatory Recycling Ordinance.
As far as I know, this was the first mandatory recycling law in any major
city in the US. I can't speak for other countries at this time without
further research.

I'm not sure when the program actually first started curbside, but at the
time we collected mixed paper, metal, glass, and plastics.

I'm told at the time we also served as an example to jurisdictions and
cities all over.

--
msimons@no.address INFORMATION*MEDIA*PHOTOGRAPHY www.michaelsimons.com
Turning Old Into New?: Please Take Materials Exchange : www.pleasetake.org