[GreenYes] Re: Green Emperor Part VI (last segment) and a note on Jack Johnson's new Curious George Album

Scott-

I don¹t know if you¹ve read my entire essay (Parts I through VI), but you
ought to check out Part V at least. The environmental movement is obviously
important, but it is encumbered with a plethora of programs and issues. Read
Part V and you¹ll see what I mean. The impetus for my essay was the paper
³The Death of Environmentalism² which is a critique of the movement both
because of its political impotence in the past two elections and because the
issue of Global Warming is not being adequately addressed?both
programmatically and politically. Go to Part I of my essay and there¹s a
link to DoE.
http://getunderground.com/underground/author.cfm?Contributor_ID=489

My concern, however, is not with the failings of the environmental movement
so much as with the extreme potential of sustainable development and
environmental justice. We have the opportunity to develop an entirely new
economic system?let me rephrase (reframe) that: if we are to succeed in our
efforts to protect the global climate, it is imperative that we re-invent
the world¹s economy within the next 20 years. This requires a completely
different mindset than the standard ³policy literalism² of mainstream
environmental groups where you identify a problem or issue then establish
technical and/or regulatory fixes through legislation and government
mandate. While there¹s nothing wrong with that approach if you are concerned
about protecting wildlife, conserving forests, or controlling pollution, it
won¹t work if you are looking to re-direct economies around the world. We
need to be investing heavily in R&D on the energy side of the equation; we
need to figure out how to support organic farming, recycling, and mass
transportation systems so that they become the dominant paradigms in our
society rather than ³alternatives;² and we need to foster a whole new set of
values that appeals to the instinct for creativity and innovation?not fear
and selfishness.

What I am calling Global Community Development is fundamentally different
than Environmentalism because it addresses investment, profitability,
business, jobs, community, entrepreneurship, innovation, creativity, and the
common wealth. Your concern about ³the apathy of the average American² is
my concern as well.

Db

David Biddle, Executive Director
<http://blueolives.blogspot.com>

P.O. Box 4037
Philadelphia, PA 19118
215-247-3090
215-432-8225 (mobile)
Dbiddle@no.address

<WWW.GPCRC.COM>

Read In Business magazine to learn about sustainable
businesses in communities across North America!
Go to: <http://www.jgpress.com/inbusine.htm>

Finally, just a note on the wind debate in New England: it¹s Bobby Kennedy,
Jr. who is opposed to the Cape Wind project, not Kerry.