From: Timothy Logan
To: Dana.Coyle@no.address ; GRRNlistserve
Sent: Wednesday, April 27, 2005 7:54 AM
Subject: [greenyes] Re: Eco-friendly cafeteria supplies and other topics of interest

Dana/Greenyes

I saw your posting (below) and a response from someone at the CIWMB about compostables to replace your cafeteria's styrafoam plates - I couldn't help think back to my own school days when we used something called durables - it really wasn't that long ago when we used to actually wash our dishes and flatware - this provided jobs and reduced impact on end of the pipe technologies like disposables and compostables including the deliveries and collections and the emissions that go with them as well as costs associated with such usage.

Ideally you might consider retrofitting your facilities to include anaerobic digestors to capture you uningested foods scraps on-site (and while we're at it the post ingested scraps as well). If you're willing to go this far you could also look for integrated pest management opportunities and organic cleaning supplies to keep your stream of "flushed resources" clean for your on-site treatment.

Wow, now you're really moving and groovin', might as well utilize the methane that results from your anaerobic digestion, I bet you've got either gas heat or hot water in the building so this could offset your fossil fuel usage. Hmmm, what's next, oh yes you've still got sludge, but since you've controlled the inputs relatively well, it may be appropriate for on-site gardening/landscaping needs (maybe even for your green roof - the one that decreases your heating/cooling costs by 50% or more).

Yep, I think the possibilities to get rid of those styrofoam plates is a wonderful idea, just think of the opportunities that such a move could make.

These are just some of the ideas that are likely to be floating around the GRRN Zero Waste Action Conference May 23-25th at Pace University in downtown Manhattan. It's a lot closer than the CRRA Conferences (by the way love the CRRA conferences Rick) for those of us back east. Scholarship options are readily considered by all applicants - so get with the program (agenda listed below) and come to ground zero - the GRRN Zero Waste Action Conference.

-Timothy J.W. Logan
Consumer Policy Institute, Consumers Union
Lead Organizer, NYC Zero Waste Campaign
Planning Committee, GRRN Zero Waste Action Conference

********
REGISTER NOW for The Second National Zero Waste Action Conference
New York City - May 23-25, 2005

"Building Zero Waste Communities: Tools to Take Home"

FOR MORE INFO OR TO REGISTER ONLINE, GO TO www.grrn.org.

Two great minds of the 21st Century are on the Zero Waste bandwagon .are you? Come hear and meet with Peter Montague, Co-Director of the Environmental Research Foundation and Editor of RACHEL's Environmental and Health News, on Zero Waste and the Precautionary Principle, and David Morris, Vice President of the Institute for Local Self-R-eliance and Director of the New Rules Project, on changing the rules of the marketplace to create a Zero Waste society.

You will not want to miss this two-and-a-half day gathering with some of the leading advocates and technical experts in the industry who will provide you with the tools and processes to choose, plan and implement Zero Waste in your community!

What is "Zero Waste in Action?" Come learn about Resource Recovery Parks, Extended Producer Responsibility initiatives, Design for the Environment campaigns, and Job Creation programs.

Join your progressive peers working in New York, the U.S. and Canada to discuss challenges and different program approaches. Strategize your own Zero Waste plan for your region by building off other community's ongoing planning processes.

What are the Tools to Take Home? We want to help you get your community moving toward Zero Waste, so some of the useful take-aways from this conference will include a framework for introducing Zero Waste to your community's legislators and stakeholders, sample policies and legislation, resources and references for building infrastructure, community planning handbooks, promotional campaign artwork and other how-to's.

Planning for Zero Waste? Bring a delegation from your community!

To start organizing your community around Zero Waste, we encourage you to bring a delegation with you. We suggest at least 2 or 3 of the following individuals: elected officials, top city management, solid waste program managers, business leaders, and members of community organizations.

Conference Agenda:

Monday, May 23rd

Registration and Continental Breakfast

Keynote Sessions:

Peter Montague, Co-Director of the Environmental Research Foundation and Editor of RACHEL's Environmental and Health News

"Zero Waste and the Precautionary Principle: An Idea Whose Time Has Come"

David Morris, Vice President of the Institute for Local Self Reliance and Director of the New Rules Project

"Changing the Rules"

Panel and Interactive Sessions:

· Panel 1: "Upstream and Downstream - the Zero Waste System"

Producer Responsibility, Design for the Environment and Clean Production

Building Infrastructure: Resource Recovery Parks

Town Hall Meetings: Small group meetings with David Morris and Peter Montague!!

Lunch provided

"Open Space" Break-out Sessions:

A chance to network with your peers and discuss with experts the challenges you are experiencing in your specific community.

· Panel 2: "Jobs, Jobs, Jobs"

Reception 5-9 p.m.:

Music by DJ Chrome, the Soundz of Justice and Recycled Funk (www.djobah.com).

Tuesday, May 24th

Continental Breakfast

Group Work Sessions with national experts focusing on how government and community organizers can work both separately and together toward Zero Waste:

"Framing the Zero Waste Debate" - Annie Leonard, Global Alliance for Incineration Alternatives (GAIA)

· Panel 1: "Choosing Zero Waste for your Community"

· Panel 2: "Planning for Zero Waste"

Lunch provided

· Panel 3: "Implementing Zero Waste"

· Roundtable Discussion: "Elements for Success" - Experts from the previous panels will combine their expertise and experience in planning for a Zero Waste Community in all sectors.

Evening Tours 5-8 p.m.

Choose one of two options:

Reuse - Materials for the Arts and Build it Green; OR

Toxics - Green Worker Cooperatives & Sustainable South Bronx.

Wine and snacks served after tours.

Wednesday, May 25th

Morning Tours 9 a.m.-noon

Choose one of two options:

Organics - Lower Eastside Ecology Center &

Riker's Island NYC Corrections Facility; OR

Recycling - Hugo Neu and Visy Paper Plant.

TO REGISTER or for more information, visit www.grrn.org.

GrassRoots Recycling Network (GRRN) is a North American network of recycling professionals and waste reduction activists pushing public policy and corporate practice beyond recycling.