From: Reindl, John [mailto:Reindl@no.address]
Sent: Wednesday, December 01, 2004 8:27 AM
To: 'Gary Liss'; greenyes@no.address
Subject: [greenyes] Glass recycling price drops here too

As in New Zealand, the price being paid for glass in Wisconsin is also
dropping. For example, CRA has announced a reduction in prices to our MRF to
the following:

Clear $4.50 a ton
Brown $3.50 a ton
Green negative $8.50 a ton
Mixed negative $19.50 a ton

This is the third price decrease this year and is due in part to increased
transportation cost from higher diesel prices and I foresee that the price
will decline in the future as well.

Users of our MRF pay approximately $70 a ton to have their glass processed
and then receive 80% of the value of the glass or pay 80% of the cost to
market it, so the net cost of recycling glass at our MRF is on the order of
$65 to $85 a ton. Added to that would be any marginal costs of collection.

I see a need to improve the economics. I would invite suggestions from
others on this.

John Reindl, Recycling Manager
Dane County, WI