Re: [greenyes] Fwd: A Message From Epson

Hi Jenny and others:

I don't know too much about this part of the printer business, and I have no time/energy to get into the controversy in a major way.

But I would speculate that for Epson the profits are in the consumables rather than in the printers themselves. So they probably have an incentive to (1) keep the cartridges from becoming a commodity--that is, available from multiple sources at competitive pricing, and (2) to destroy the cartridges to keep people from having an opportunity to figure out how to refill them.

If they can pretend at the same time to be doing good works, it's just a bonus for them.

You are quite right that their defense of incineration is just the usual bullshit.

Laser printer people (or at least HP) have been taking empty cartridges back for years. Do we know what gets done with these? I have noticed that the cores have little value locally, and clones seem as common as rebuilts.

Regards,

Alan