RE: [greenyes] Recycling programs not cost effective

Everything costs money! Mining and processing raw materials into once use
containers and newspapers which get burnt and buried is paid for by you and
you are taxed on it too. The waste haulage companies get tax breaks to help
them make more money but somehow the recyclers seem to have to justify every
penny as being cost effective. Sure separating materials streams is more
time consuming and employs more people than just trashing it all but you
have to look at the big picture. The problem is that you cannot easily
'join up' the cost benefit analysis easily - the Councils that have to pay
for the kerbside (with your money) are loath to push rates up and they are
not likely to get extra funding to do the best thing for the environment
(unless GW has a big change of heart and actually reverses some of his
environmental legislation or sees the liberal light!)

In other words politically it is difficult for councils to justify spending
more money on recycling unless they get some kind of pay off that recognises
that there will be less pollution in the whole system. Hmm - here in Europe
its happening because if it doesn't then member states will get penalised -
all biodegradable fraction phased out of landfill - higher and higher
recycling rates need to be achieved and kerbside collections are going in
everywhere now including garden clippings and kitchen waste in some parts
(although the draconian Animal by products legislation following on from
Foot and mouth makes this one tricky - us composters read BioCycle with awe
at the stories of how to compost dead animals etc!)
Councils here are working with community sector more and more especially
where they can help to reach those hard to get rural areas and add more
value with innovative programmes. (Education & awareness too)

So keep plugging away with the arguments for recycling and don't forget to
push the Reuse message too!

Nicky Scott
Community Composting Network UK
Author Composting for all & Reduce Reuse Recycle (www.greenbooks.co.uk)