RE: [greenyes] FW: Corporation as Psychopath

I think I said big not for profit companies are rare implying that they
weren't too cosy either! It seems to be the getting big that distorts
democracy and anything else for that matter - and yes of course it's all too
simplistic - you can have very good privately owned companies after all what
are SME's (well they are small to medium sized enterprises actaually ed!)
and they are often small family run businesses mom and pop stores and the
like and all kind of entrprenurial (I can never spell that) businesses - but
they have the potential to grow out of touch and proportion and end up
having to make money for their shareholders. We've had the problems here
with Stae owned companies like the railway being privatised by the right
wing GOV of Thatcher now in a shambles - now the debates are all about our
National Health service. I agree it is part of human condition to want to
make money and that is the dilemma of the co-operative vs the family run
shop ( I know from personal experience here!) the original movers and
shakers put their all into setting up the business and then new staff are
employed and of course want to work the hours they are contracted and paid
for - they can't compete with the family owned corner shop on hours of
business etc.
There are no easy answers here - but it is the ability of corporations to
transcend (wrong word!) National barriers and buy off whole countries
effectively which makes them so difficult to bring to account.

Apparently the book isn't due for release here until July

Nicky Scott