Re: [greenyes] The Other Side
Good question! I would suggest, not that I am an authority on this in any way, that simply informing people about the environmental impacts of over-consumption is useful and can be done in a non-insulting manner. Just make sure you have the facts right! Environmental isues are inherently complex, and linking purchases with environmental impacts can be exceedingly difficult. In some cases, buying luxury-priced goods is no worse than the standard-priced fare. Is Starbucks any more damaging than Maxwell House? I doubt it.

Actually, the biggest problem that I have run into is that people get very defensive about their personal habits. People do not want to change. So tell them about what YOU do to be green: keeping that old {insert item} running by fixing it rather than buying a new one, OR going out and buying ALL-NEW eco-friendly products, like a front-loading washer, or biking to work, or whatever. There is nothing that speaks louder than actions. And be proud of it!

Don Hughes