[greenyes] Leaching water bottles
This is a response to the two messages below.

First, I don¹t believe pthalates are in PET, the common package for water
bottles.  Pthalates are a plasticizer that gives flexibility to rigid
plastics, such as PVC.  PET is already a flexible resin and so pthalates are
not needed.

Secondly, an alternative that many people use are reusable polypropylene
(PP) bottles, like the nalgene or similar bottles you can get at outdoor
stores. This type of plastic is also used in water cooler bottles, baby
bottles and many other uses. There is evidence that PP plastics leach a
chemical called bisphenol A, a hormone disrupter which is linked to birth
defects.  What¹s even scarier is that the leaching is worse when bleach is
used on the plastic, a practice which many people use when their bottles get
a little skanky and which Nalgene promotes on their web site
(http://www.nalgene-outdoor.com/technical/cleaning/index.html). This link
tells a little bit about the leaching of bisphenol A in animal cages:
http://ehpnet1.niehs.nih.gov/docs/2003/5993/abstract.html. I have seen an
article on PP bottles and bisphenol A, but can¹t find it. If people are
really interested in this, I can track it down.

Amy

Amy Perlmutter
Perlmutter Associates
23 Avon Street