[GreenYes] Technology trumps virtue?
The new residential recycling system got a compliment (sort of) from the
local paper today.  Things are going pretty well, especially compared to
1993, when Western Waste was short of equipment for the first weeks.

----------------------------------

Technology trumps virtue

IN THE GOOD OLD DAYS OF RECYCLING, YOU KNEW WHO CARED ABOUT THE PLANET

Posted on Mon, Jul. 08, 2002

By John Fensterwald

The full article will be available on the Web for a limited time:
http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/news/opinion/3621278.htm

SAN JOSE began distributing a new recycling bin last week to neighborhoods
throughout the city. It's designed to make recycling remarkably easy.

Too easy. I know I'm going to hate it. It's another case of technology
stamping out virtue.
Instead of four separate bins, there'll be just one. All recyclable
materials will be chucked into a 96-gallon container.
This was the dream of recyclers 30 years ago. Cities like San Jose have
seeded the market and inspired entrepreneurs.

I should be happy. But self-righteousness and old habits die hard.

John Fensterwald is a Mercury News editorial writer.

(c) 2001 mercurynews and wire service sources. All Rights Reserved.