[GreenYes] More from Germany
More from Germany

German brewers file suit against recycling law - GERMANY
http://www.planetark.org/dailynewsstory.cfm/newsid/15200/story.htm

German brewers file suit against recycling law

REUTERS NEWS SERVICE---GERMANY: March 26, 2002

BERLIN - An association of German brewers has filed a suit against
Germany's 16 federal states seeking to block a government directive
introducing deposits on non-returnable beer and soft drink cans and
bottles.

"We have begun the action and our suits were filed with the 16 states
today," Michael Scherer, head of the brands and packaging association
for German brewers, told Reuters.

"We say that it is neither ecologically nor economic sensible and
that it is unfair to be targeting just the drinks industry," he said.

The German cabinet approved the measure last week that calls for
deposits of 25 cents ($0.22) for smaller disposable containers and 50
cents for cans and bottles above 1.5 litres starting in 2003.
Deposits are returned when the bottles and cans are disposed in
special recycling machines.

"The government has put the cost at about 700 to 800 million euros.
We say it's much higher. If you take into account a possible 15
billion cans and bottles, the cost would be more likely to be 3.25
billion euros. We would have to pass that on to the consumer," said
Scherer, whose association covers 55 brewers with about two-thirds of
Germany's brewing production.

At the very least, the legal challenge could delay the introduction
of the recycling directive, which is scheduled to take effect January
1.

The move is likely to impact the makers of can recycling machines,
such as Norway's Tomra Systems , whose shares rose in anticipation of
the German government's decision. In an interview last week, the
firm's chief executive said Germany represented Tomra's best growth
prospect.

The measure has long sparked opposition among retailers and beverage
manufacturers but the government says it is necessary because the
percentage of refillable cans and bottles has fallen below a minimum
target level set in 1997.

The 1997 law requires that 72 percent of all beverage containers sold
be returnable, but government officials said that target was no
longer being met.

Environment Minister Juergen Trittin, a member of the Green Party who
are junior coalition partners in government, has been pushing for the
introduction of this system for almost a year.

Mail this story to a friend | Printer friendly version

Patricia Franklin
Executive Director
Container Recycling Institute
1911 N. Fort Myer Drive, Ste. 702