[GreenYes] Electronics Front-End Financing -- Long Way to Go
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
March 20, 2002

Contact: David Wood, GRRN 608-270-0940
Michael Bender, MPP 802-223-9000
Mark Murray, CAW 916-443-5422

ELECTRONICS INDUSTRY AGREES TO FRONT-END
FINANCING FOR WASTE; ENVIRONMENTALISTS
SKEPTICAL OF DETAILS, IMPLEMENTATION

Pressure from state campaigns vital to
sustainable solution

Madison, WI: The recent agreement by
representatives of the U.S. consumer
electronics industry to work toward front-end
financing for electronic waste collection and
recycling represents the first mile-marker of a
public policy marathon. The electronics
industry's new commitment to make progress is a
marked change and bears witness to the state-
level momentum building for producer
responsibility. However, the National
Electronic Product Stewardship Initiative
(NEPSI) announcement must not divert attention
away from dozens of issues not yet resolved and
equal numbers not yet addressed, according to
founding organizations of the Computer TakeBack
Campaign.

"It is significant that industry
representatives appear to be moving away from
their previous hard-line opposition to front-
end financial responsibility for their
products, while acknowledging the need for
legislation, but we are a long way from popping
the corks," says Michael Bender of the Mercury
Policy Project. "Our grassroots campaign will
continue at the state and local level in order
to push manufacturers to take responsibility
for the life-cycle impacts of their products,"
continues Bender.

      Environmentalists have long advocated
that a front-end financing system is an
essential first step in the development of a
safe and effective recycling system for e-
waste. Producer responsibility legislation is
pending in several states, including California
and Massachusetts.

"NEPSI's recent agreement to make progress
toward a front-end financing mechanism for
recovery of e-waste comes after a year of
structured dialogue. But unlike a year-old
infant's first step, this baby-step is not a
major milestone," says David Wood, Program
Director of the GrassRoots Recycling Network
(GRRN). "The agreement 'to work toward the
development of a front-end financed system'
does not ensure the ultimate implementation of
such a financing system and says nothing about
the dozens of issues related to the structure
and performance criteria of the collection
system to be financed. The agreement reached is
but a small drop in an ocean of major issues,"
continues Wood.

      GRRN and the Mercury Policy Project are
among the founding members of the Computer
TakeBack Campaign, a new national grassroots
effort promoting producer responsibility in the
consumer electronics and personal computer
industries. The TakeBack Campaign is not
formally represented in the NEPSI process,
though two of the Campaign's founders are NEPSI
participants.

"We are encouraged that the electronics
industry now appears to agree that producer
responsibility for a front end financing and
incentive system is needed to facilitate the
safe and effective recycling of obsolete and
hazardous electronics," says Mark Murray,
Executive Director of Californians Against
Waste (CAW). CAW is leading the California
legislative campaign. "However, we see nothing
in the two paragraph NEPSI announcement that
should preclude California and other states and
local governments from moving forward with
legislation for the implementation of a model
recycling system for hazardous and other
obsolete electronics. Over the next six months,
while the electronics industry debates the
details of an electronics collection, reuse and
recycling/Jptem, more than one million
additional hazardous computer monitors and TV's
will become obsolete in California, adding to
the 6 million already stockpiled in
households," continues Murray.

"After a year of discussions, this is a good
first step forward," says Ted Smith, Executive
Director of the Silicon Valley Toxics Coalition
and NEPSI representative. "It is important that
industry has now agreed that we need to develop
a 'front-end' financing solution to the e-waste
crisis and that it will take legislation to
accomplish this. But there are many difficult
issues that remain and now we need to buckle
down to address them if we are to meet our goal
of developing a truly effective system for life
cycle responsibility for electronic products."

The Campaign's Take It Back Platform, developed
over a year ago, includes many important
elements that have not yet factored into the
NEPSI dialogue, including product re-design and
phase out of hazardous substances,
environmentally superior collection and product
recycling standards, and bans on export of
hazardous waste and use of prison labor. The
platform may be accessed on-line at
http://www.grrn.org/e-scrap/e-
scrap_platform.html.

Founding members of the Computer TakeBack
Campaign include: As You Sow Foundation, Clean
Production Network, Clean Water Action,
Communication Workers of America,
ecopledge.com, GrassRoots Recycling Network,
INFORM, Institute for Local Self-Reliance,
Materials for the Future Foundation, Mercury
Policy Project, and Silicon Valley Toxics
Coalition.  ###