Re: [GreenYes] glass recovery from commingled curbside program
Eric,

I saw these in many neighborhoods while passing through Paris last summer.
I wasn't certain how/why they existed, since residents also made use of
small toters that appeared to be collected 1-2 days a week by Onyx, the
private hauler who services Paris.

Another option that's been floated around here (to mixed reaction) is to
eliminate glass from the curbside program, and establish buyback centers
where it can be redeemed for cash.  Obviously, how much should be paid for a
relatively low value material is key.  We don't have any glass mills nearby,
although we do have a few companies that would be interested in
locating/expanding here if they got clean cullet.

What do others think of this idea?

Steve Hammer
(w) 212-645-9912
shammer@wastesaver.com

---------------------------

Hi all,

This has been a fun dialogue... but here's why I asked the question.
First of all, many folks missed the fact that I wasn't calling into
question the recycling of glass, I was asking about curbside collection
vs drop-off.  And the reason this is important is because my vision of
where recycling needs to be going is toward a 2-Sort wet/dry collection
and processing system.  And on the "dry" side, glass is really the only
major concern I have about messing up the quality of the discards and
fouling up the equipment in the automated MRF of the future.

So, I'm thinking that maybe we need to have lots of public "igloos" for
glass scattered around a community that get serviced by the "hook and
dump" trucks once every two weeks or so.

What's the feedback to this idea?

Eric Lombardi
Executive Director
EcoCycle, Inc