From: Dan DeGrassi [mailto:dpw180@co.santa-cruz.ca.us]
Sent: Thursday, March 07, 2002 1:26 PM
To: greenyes@grrn.org
Subject: [GreenYes] green goods

DAILY GRIST
Environmental news from GRIST MAGAZINE, a project of Earth Day Network

3.
IT'S NOT EASY MAKING GREEN
Green products won't necessarily keep a company out of the red:  Many
businesses are concluding that eco-friendly marketing campaigns
simply don't work.  Forty-one percent of U.S. consumers say they
don't buy green products because they fear inferior performance,
according to a Roper poll, and most say they prioritize convenience
over ideology when making purchasing decisions.  The result?
Recycling rates are down, single-serving packaging is up, and fewer
products are marketed as eco-friendly.  Some environmentalists blame
the problem on confusion generated by inconsistent, and hence
untrustworthy, labeling systems for ostensibly environmentally
friendly products.

straight to the source:  Wall Street Journal, Geoffrey A. Fowler, 06
Mar 2002