Re: [GreenYes] Glass
Hi Jerry,

While you may be technically correct about the glass industry not losing significant market share over the last 5 years, isn't the point that glass, as a refillable and therefore more sustainable and therefore environmentally preferable packaging medium, has lost tremendous market share over the last 25 -30 years if you consider all goods that could be packaged in glass?  If we take a narrow enough view, 5 years or less, then we can't see this bigger picture.  It's sort of like boiling the frog in the pot by slowly increasing the heat vs. dropping it into a pot of boiling water.  Or, am I missing the point.  If so, please enlighten me.

Thanks.

B. Wayne Turner
City of Winston-Salem
Utilities Division
phone: (336) 727 8418
email: waynet@cityofws.org

>>> <RESRECYCLE@aol.com> 03/06/02 07:34PM >>>
Glass is not losing "significant marketshare," has has been suggested on this
listserv.  Domestic glass container shipments over the past five years are
down less than one percent annually.  Much of this loss can be explained by
the weakening demand for alcoholic beverages, given that more than 60 percent
of glass production goes to this market.  It is more accurate to say that
glass is a mature product.  However, it remains the favored package for many
products, including premium beers, microbeers, liquor, wine, pickles, relish,
etc.

Jerry Powell, Editor
Container Recycling Report

Resource Recycling, Inc.