[GreenYes] Used Tire Hiearchy
According to a just released study by the German
environmental agency, using scrap tires in road
surfaces (rubber modified asphalt or RMA) ranks
above burning tires in power stations. I didn't
specifically single out RMA in the used tire
hierarchy because I hadn't found a life cycle
analysis on that use. I haven't seen the German
study yet, but it appears that it will be an
important addition to our knowledge on scrap tire
management.

The civil engineering applications which I ranked
equal to energy recovery were uses such as shredding
for use in road beds under the road surface or other
such applications where the shreds substitute for an
aggregate. That designation was not meant to cover
use in road surfaces.

Dr. Jeffrey Morris
Sound Resource Management - Bellingham Office
112 Ohio Street, Suite 202
Bellingham, WA 98225

360-738-0255
360-738-0256 fax