[GreenYes] Landfilling Yard Waste Proposal in Illinois
The Illinois General Assembly may soon have a proposal from the City and
County of Peoria to allow yard waste to be dumped in the City/County
Landfill. Yard Waste has been banned from landfills in Illinois for nearly
10 years.

Proponents of the plan say yard waste will help paper and other items in the
landfill decompose more rapidly, dumping will save money on collection, the
yard waste won't take up additional space because of rapid decomposition,
and having yard waste in the landfill will significantly increase methane
production to generate more electricity.

I have been networking with opponents of this plan in Peoria and thought
that there may be some others interested in this issue. The City of Peoria
has already approved the plan and the County has yet to decide.  If the
County does not approve the plan it won't go to the Legislature.

I lived in Peoria from 1990 to 1995 and was active on issues regarding this
landfill.  Although the landfill is owned by the City and the County, Waste
Management presently operates the landfill. Yard waste is collected
separately and is presently composted.

An article today in the News Section of "Peoria Journal Star"
(www.pjstar.com)in outlines the proposal. According to the article the
Illinois Environmental Protection Agency's Bureau of Land is reviewing the
plan and appears to be open to more research. The IEPA may offer testimony
before the Legislature if approved by the Peoria County.

I presently serve as on the Board of Directors of the Waukesha County
Environmental Action League (WEAL) in Wisconsin. I also serve as Waste
Issues Representative for WEAL and I concerned that if this plan "plays in
Peoria" we may see the Waste Industry  making similar proposals elsewhere.

Thanks for any help on this issue.

Charlene Lemoine