Re: [GreenYes] energy supply
To Muna's thoughtful comments I will add a suggestion that we consider
pricing issues.
In the 24 August edition of Science magazine ('Exploiting Wind Versus Coal,
p. 1438) researchers from Stanford demonstrate a full-pricing analysis
where wind energy is cheaper than coal -- even with currently existing
technologies. Social costs of coal-related illness raise the cost of coal
energy from 3.5 - 4 cents/kWh to 5.5 - 8.3 cents kWh.  By comparison, wind
energy costs are coming in at 3 - 4 cents kWh.

The smart money will go where no externalities loom, waiting for a class
action suit or other cataclysm to eradicate profitability. IMHO, people who
weigh in on these issues from an environment/public interest perspective do
better to frame the issue on principle, since noone else is going to put
these important points on the table.

H.