[GreenYes] Petroleum used for plastics

Steen, Terri wrote:

> So far I haven't been able to find any Internet resources that answer the
> question "how much petroleum do we use to make consumer plastics?"  (or
> words to that effect) and while I move on to "how much energy can we save
by
> recycling plastics, cans, and cardboard?" Is it a
> significant amount?  Does recycled plastic make a dent in this amount?
##################################

Before going any further let me state that I do support recycling and
several of the other waste minimization efforts.  I do not only provide my
support based on the economic analysis that the waste industry(haulers and
landfills) are constantly attempting to undermine.  In a very simplistic way
"it does not make common sense to throw away resources"  examples being
cardboard, cans, and metals to name a few.

My concerns with the saving's discussed so far are WHO has written some of
the reports?  Perhaps those who are promoting their own agenda?  Also we see
the savings stated in kilowatts and other measures that are very difficult
for the average person to understand.  How many people know "how many
aluminum cans are in a ton and what does the ton look like?" (please do not
answer this anyone).
I do know what 6-24 beverage cans look like in my home.  Everyone needs to
keep some of these "saving statements" simple and easy for the public to
envision.

So far in the answers to the question from Terri, I am not sure that the
full costs to collect the recyclables, process them(baling, etc) and
shipping to the remanufacturing facilities are taken into account.
Apples-to-Apples comparisons are a must and please keep it simple and easy
to understand.  Tell me about a
100-watt light bulb and how long it will stay on in my home.

Regards, C. William