[GreenYes] BTU value of food
Priscilla:

A number of years ago (like 1985-ish) a consulting firm in NJ called
William Cosulich and Associates did a study on the BTU value of different
materials that would end up in incinerators.  The study showed that most
recyclables (except plastics) had low BTU values and weren't a problem if
kept out of the waste-to-energy stream. I don't know where you'd get a copy
of that now.  The NJ DEP might have it.  Anyone in NJ have any ideas?

> >From: Priscilla Hayes <hayes@AESOP.RUTGERS.EDU>
> >To: compost@compostingcouncil.org
> >
> >Does anyone have any information on studies that compare the
> btu/energy
> >value of food waste in incinerators with other MSW sent
> there?  I understand
> >that the high moisture content of the food waste makes it burn
> >inefficiently, without producing significant energy.
> >
> >Thank you.
> >
> >PRISCILLA HAYES, COORDINATOR
> >NEW JERSEY SOLID WASTE POLICY GROUP
> >DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURAL, FOOD AND RESOURCE ECONOMICS
> >RUTGERS UNIVERSITY--COOK COLLEGE
> >55 DUDLEY ROAD
> >NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ 08901-8520
> >
> >TELEPHONE: (732) 932-9155, ext.233