From: Mary Lou Van Deventer [mailto:marylouvan@no.address]
Sent: Monday, June 23, 2008 12:59 PM
To: Jewell, Rebecca
Cc: Neil Tangri; Curt McNamara; GreenYes@no.address
Subject: Re: [GreenYes] Re: Recycle Offset Credits?

Good question.  Looks like a pyramid scheme, yes?

Mary Lou Van Deventer
Urban Ore

On Jun 23, 2008, at 12:46 PM, Jewell, Rebecca wrote:

Follow up question to this conversation...

If a City starts a recycling program, does outreach for
participation, hires a collection company who sorts the material and
sells it to brokers who then sell it to refiners who process it some
more (clean it, melt it, color sort it, etc) who then sell it to
manufacturers who make it into new products, who gets the carbon
credits for "recycling"?

Is it the City?
collection company?
broker?
the refiner?
manufacturer?

In the case of the City, they may be capping and trading under their
County or State laws.
But the collection company might be capping and trading in another
system.
And the broker, refiner and manufacturer might not even be in the
United States...

I'm just wondering what this would look like, if it became reality...

Rebecca Jewell
Recycling Programs Manager
Davis Street Station for Material Recycling & Transfer
A Waste Management company
510-563-4214

Fun Fact: Waste Management recycled more than 5 million tons of
commodities last year; preventing the release of more than 3.4
million metric tons of greenhouse gas emissions.

I have been lurking on this thread for a bit and find my self a little confused. In the original example cited by Rebecca Jewell, what carbon emissions are to be offset?

In the case of energy projects, a wind power project generates power that is marketed to the power grid or to an individual user, say 2 Megawatts (MW). This power offsets the need for 2 MW of coal fired power and the wind power project may offer the Carbon dioxide equivalent of 2MW of Coal Power to the Carbon Market. This sale may or may not encourage the wind project to add additional wind mills to avail itself of additional carbon credits. Each MW of wind power generated discourages the construction or renovation of a MW of coal power.

What Carbon dioxide emitter would be offset by recycling in the example?  This emitter would be offset and credits would be created by the offsetting entity. There would  be no chain of credit formation.
--

JW.