[GreenYes] Re: Recycle when Energy

To Ingen:

I'm CEO of Urban Ore, Inc. in Berkeley, a reuse and recycling company for 27 years. I believe that you cited my company in a recent email to Bob Krasowski.

There is no Urban Ore in SF except for when we send one of our trucks over there to pick up a load. And although I've heard the name Brooke Nash, my brain can't connect that name to any face.

In any event, she (or he) got it wrong. Urban Ore does not believe in landfilling at all. In fact we advocate ending government grants to private waste companies of any more permitted airspace for filling. No new landfills, no expansion of existing landfills. We applaud North Carolina for its one-year moratorium on landfilling, and recently supported citizen activists there asking for a five-to-ten year extension of the ban. We also want governments to take back already permitted airspace and run it for the benefit of the people, not garbage companies. We want permitted airspace for garbage burial to be priced fairly all over, which is to say expensively. Ending the artificial expansion of its supply will accomplish this. We think this is a key part of the strategy to get to zero waste, which we think is feasible.

For whatever it's worth, the idea of burying resources with the idea of using them later is an old one, although it has its hazards. What if the dog forgets where he put the bone? In a few weeks, the buried bone is reduced by much smaller decomposers to the calcium, which has turned as brown as dirt and is about as appetizing as dirt to the dog. In the trade this disposal practice is often called "balefill." I remember some advocates promoting balefill in Hawaii and maybe Florida, but Urban Ore never signed on. From Urban Ore's perspective, balefill is as baleful a disposal option as waste incineration, methane burning, alternative daily cover, dirty mrfs, garbage composting, and all the other wacky wierd fake recycling strategies that waste interests dream up.

Your example of spent printer cartridges is interesting because as a reuse and recycling company, I have fairly frequently to respond to competitive bids from other specialized companies for the supply of various material substreams that our reuse operations can generate. Rigid plastics have recently become commodified in this way, and that category includes but is not limited to printer cartridges. Our approach is to tour their facilities, find out what they do with the materials, and go with the best overall disposal service provider. Often this involves some revision in our handling protocols. That's just business as usual. It's nice to be paid for the commodity, but recycling it also saves us $100 per ton on our garbage bill, not to speak of labor costs from treating it as waste, so it makes even more business sense to conserve.

It's interesting that the two other examples you pick to illustrate your point are so extreme.

Your "sending-a-boat-for-the-last-aluminum-can-on-the-island" metaphor betrays a contempt for admittedly idealistic and hopeful recycling enthusiasts like me that only a garbage guy could love. No recycler actually in the business would ever be so stupid as to send a boat for that one single can.

Your single example of a single plastics load that cost an estimated $900 per ton for someone to recycle once long ago does not in any way support the Real Big Idea that you insinuate rather than state, which is that recyclers don't get paid quite well when they produce clean feedstocks and valuable products. How well is quite well? Well enough to stay in business, many of us, for decades. Well enough to grow. Well enough to pay our hired help and our vendors and our landlords. Well enough to compete with well-capitalized waste interests for supply when we're not prevented from doing so by government regulations or outright interference from the waste management establishment.

How about the other millions of tons recycled that support the 56,000 recycling business entities that the EPA found in their 2003 study, a 37-year-old business phenomenon collectively already as big as the US auto industry, and growing?

Ingen, your arguments are sophistry.

Dan Knapp
Urban Ore, Inc.
A nonvirtual reuse and recycling company

PS: I agree with Bob's statement about the importance of design for recycling, dated July 8 below.