[GreenYes] Re: Citizen Advisory Committee

Colleen,

I have mixed feelings and mixed results with CAC's. I was glad to read what
JW wrote below because it makes some important points that are the roots of
my frustration with CAC's.

When JW says: " However, . the citizens must remember that these committees
are 'Advisory' . No unit of government will, or should, delegate its
decision-making authority to a non-elected body . It falls upon the CAC to
maintain sufficient credibility and integrity ."

The bottom-line is that if the government creates the CAC, then the
government is the overlord with the power and freedom to censor your work.
What fun is that? Seriously, we are all busy in life, and getting the
public to join these committees, only to watch the government officials do
nothing with all their work is a very frustrating experience. (I'm not
saying that always happens!!)

My suggestion is that any sort of CAC gets created as an independent public
body that reports directly to the top. city manager, mayor, whomever . and
that the government put at the CAC disposal a staff support person for at
least 8 hours/week so facilitate the group functioning, write up group
results, etc. The CAC should have a "begin & end" date. do NOT create an
ongoing open-ended committee. that will kill all ideas and people on the
committee. Really get focused on why a committee is needed, give it a
6-month mandate with staff and some money, and get out of their way. This
requires TRUST on the side of the government for the value of the public.
hmmm, that is something that would be nice to have more of.

Eric

Eric Lombardi

Executive Director/CEO

Eco-Cycle Inc