[GreenYes] Re: Citizen Advisory Committee

Colleen:

In our practice we often work with Citizen Advisory Committees (CAC's) and
have been instrumental in establishing them for some of our projects. We use
CACs to do planning, develop programming, evaluate programming, and even to
establish locational siting criteria in facility siting projects.

I am not aware of any unit of government that can not establish such a
committee.

However, both the government sponsor and the citizens must remember that
these committees are 'Advisory'. No unit of government will, or should,
delegate its decision-making authority to a non-elected body. It falls upon
the CAC to maintain sufficient credibility and integrity to give its advice
weight before the elected officials and it is the responsibility of the
elected officials to give the CAC a reasonable charge and the resources
necessary for the committee to develop its advice.

It is rare that the unit of government adopt the CAC's recommendations
verbatim and it is equally rare for the unit of government to totally ignore
the advice of the CAC.

J W Spear, Sr., P.E.
Principal

325 West Vine Street
Milwaukee, WI 53212-3605

Telephone (414) 263-2122 Ext. 25
Facsimile (414) 435-3110
Mobile (414) 687-0518
Email jw@no.address
http://www.jspear.com

What we do today touches seven generations.

It is a terrible and dangerous arrogance to believe that you alone are
right: have a magical eye which sees the truth: and that others can not be
right if they disagree. Isaiah Berlin 1981

The information contained in this electronic transmission is intended for
the recipient whose Name and/or Company details are shown after the word
"To" at the beginning of this transmission. The content is confidential, and
may be legally privileged. It is incumbent upon the rightful recipient to
ensure that this electronic transmission is not illegally copied or
forwarded to others. If you have received this electronic transmission in
error, then please advise us immediately, and delete it from your system.