[GreenYes] Re: Haulers/Carters who get *too* creative create headaches.

No question this is heading towards a train wreck. Versions of this
³orientation² towards office and business recycling are going on all over
the country right now. There may be legitimate goodwill on the part of
haulers today, but if markets dip below an acceptable margin, the cost of
picking through bags the way you describe will become prohibitive. It is
very likely that someone in your office will be get a call asking whether
your trash haulers are really recycling. Also, when customers contaminate
their recyclables, ?dirty² MRFs are faced with a dilemma of either charging
to handle contaminated recycling as trash or telling the hauler not to bring
the stuff in. Additionally, in talking with some MRF operators over the
years, they often note what they call ³cross contamination² where stuff just
gets in the wrong pile on-site and then they have a mess on their hands.

All that said, the real issue is the economic one. What are these people
paying for service? Is this just a way for haulers to charge full price for
trucking and disposal, but then skimming at the MRF? Do they have a lower
charge for accounts that include recycling? How do they set up their
accounting system to at least give credit for recycling? If you¹re talking
about mixed loads with multiple customers in front or rear load routes, this
is just a disaster. I know they¹re trying to accommodate the perceived space
problem for dumpsters and compactors, but it¹s not going to work over the
long haul. It just isn¹t.

db
--
David Biddle, Executive Director
<http://www.blueolives.blogspot.com>

215-247-3090 (desk)
215-432-8225 (cell)

<http://www.gpcrc.com>

Read In Business magazine to learn about sustainable
businesses in communities across North America!
Go to: <http://www.jgpress.com/inbusine.htm>