[GreenYes] Required Reading

Friends:

Catching up on holiday week reading.and just finished Harper's January cover
story, which I commend to those of you with the time for such pleasures:
"Moby Duck, or the Synthetic Pleasures of Childhood" by Donovan Hohn, who
teaches English at Manhattan's Friends School (including to a neighbor
girl). Hohn uses the oft-reported story about rubber ducks showing up on
shorelines of the northwest beginning a few years ago to weave an insightful
essay about modern culture - including the origins of plastics, its uses
with respect to toys in the 20th century, how the Pacific Ocean currents
capture and spit out abandoned plastics from multiple sources, how a
sub-culture of beachcombers catalog what washes up on our shores, how
existing plastics recycling systems are inadequate for the global
challenge..long, but written in easily digestible sections..(I also enjoyed
his essay last January on "The Romance of Rust", which chronicled a
collector of antique tools.)

Enjoy.

Kendall Christiansen

Gaia Strategies