RE: [greenyes] URGENT! NZ Glass Recycling crisis

Jo,

I am so distressed to hear about the anticipated price drop for glass in New
Zealand. This is the same situation that many U.S. recycling programs are
facing. In addition to the greater producer responsibility, container
deposit legislation and comprehensive waste legislation you mention,
another approach is to become less dependant on a monopolistic glass
recycler.

One way to accomplish this goal is to focus on the development of the many
productive secondary markets for so-called contaminated glass. These uses
include insulation and what is known as glassphault -- asphault made
partially of glass cullet. Recycled glass sand performs better than natural
sand in filtration systems and better than gravel in backfill and stormwater
drainage systems. The use of recycled glass as a sandblasting abrasive
eliminates the problem of silica dust. Recycled glass is also used as
landfill cover, since landfills must be covered on a daily basis. There are
also plenty of artistic uses for glass, including reflective paint, marbles,
jewelry, and decorative tiles. Recycled glass terrazzo is a sustainable
building material with a promising future.

None of these uses alone is big enough to provide a market for recycled
glass on its own. So a well-organized secondary market strategy may be the
only thing that can save many U.S. glass recycling programs, and perhaps the
NZ one as well.

The recycled glass terrazzo application may serve as an example for how the
strategy might be developed. Durable flooring is what is needed in municipal
and other long-term asset buildings. If municipalities specify their own
recycled glass cullet in all new and renovated buildings, they can create a
market for a portion of their glass. If, as in the case of North Texas, the
concept catches on, recycling programs can see the use of the glass cullet
expanded to schools, hospitals, airports and private businesses throughout
the area.

This may not be much comfort since you are facing an economic crisis, but I
hope there will be some opportunity to discuss the longer term solutions.
Please keep me informed about your progress.

-Patty

Patty Bates-Ballard
Public Relations Director
EnviroGLAS Products, Inc.
214-373-1787
www.enviroglasproducts.com

"Treat the Earth well. It was not given to us by our parents; it was loaned
to us by our children."  -Ecologist Lee Talbot