[greenyes] Nuclear Power Industry sees signs of revival

Here's my letter:

President Bush
The Whitehouse
1600 Pennsylvania Ave
Washington, DC

Dear President Bush,

A recent news article (By KATHRYN KRANHOLD Staff Reporter, The Wall Street Journal) stated:

"The Department of Energy cautions that these construction estimates are
overly optimistic and new plants are likely to cost more. Still, proponents
argue that nuclear power is efficient. Nuclear power, they note, costs about
$1.71 a kilowatt-hour to operate over the life of a plant, compared to $1.85
for coal and $4.06 for gas, according to industry estimates. In addition,
nuclear doesn't emit pollutants, while coal's carbon emissions contribute to
global warming."

Please, please, please do not permit movement towards more use of nuclear power. The only reason the above -stated operation costs of nuclear power is less than coal or gas is that no one is dealing with the fact that to date there is no safe way nor designated place to store the radioactive wastes produced. Saying that nuclear doesn't emit pollutants is pointless when you consider the risk of having radioactivity enter the atmosphere if a plant fails. It won't make us safer as a nation if we have more plants producing radioactive materials that make us vulnerable to theft and that can be made into weapons.

Put any money available from the government into renewable and non-polluting energy sources, not nuclear. And support more energy-conservation measures to give us more time to develop these. We can do it with your help!

Sincerely,

Mary Appelhof

--
Mary Appelhof, Author, Worms Eat My Garbage

"Changing the way the world thinks about garbage"

Subscribe to my free WormEzine. Access at http://www.wormwoman.com