Re: [greenyes] U.S. Trade Policy

And, as an aside, if communities want to protect forest or other lands from turning into subdivisions, there are many local government tools to do so. Here in Boulder County we have thousands and thousands of acres of "open space" - land permanently protected from development with conservation easements, zoning designation, and other land use mechanisms. Citizens have almost uniformly voted over the years for small taxes to fund the purchase and maintenance of this land. Those are appropriate tools to meet such goals, not timber subsidies!
Open space policies have kept the towns in Boulder County encircled by prairie and mountains, created wildlife corridors, hiking trails, etc. Places us recyclers go to recreate!

Anne
Gracestone, Inc.
Boulder, CO
303.494.4934 vox
303.494.4880 fax

Reindl, John wrote:

Hi Megan ~

The Wisconsin Department of Revenue found that the tax breaks that Wisconsin
provides to forest lands are basically only subsidizing the timber industry.

I believe that if the subsidies were eliminated, the cost of virgin fiber to
the mills would increase and that recyclers would receive a higher price for
their paper. This would make recycling program more economical, resulting in
more scrap paper being recycled, and at the same time reduce the consumption
of fiber.

I am not in favor of giving subsidies; I am instead in favor of imposing
fees that reflect the cost of the environmental externalities.

I would hope that the WTO would take a more aggressive stand against
subsidies.

John