Re: [greenyes] U.S. Trade Policy

A very good point and a tool that works well in areas that support those
initiatives. However, in less affluent parts of the country where there
is either a lack of 'donations' to land trusts or lack of interest in
more taxation, those tools (resources) are limited and focused on
preserving critical landscapes. I'm quite certain that land trusts
nationwide are struggling to compete with real estate companies for open
space (i.e. price per acre). Land sold for development is quite a
profitable venture for private landowners.

Also, you can't lock up all the natural resources. Those remaining for
extraction purposes still need to be managed properly, which takes me
back to my initial question....without incentives (whatever they might
be), will we do the right thing?

Megan
Boise, Idaho

>>> Anne Peters <annep@no.address> 10/13/2004 8:26:54 AM >>>
And, as an aside, if communities want to protect forest or other lands

from turning into subdivisions, there are many local government tools
do so. Here in Boulder County we have thousands and thousands of acres

of "open space" - land permanently protected from development with
conservation easements, zoning designation, and other land use
mechanisms. Citizens have almost uniformly voted over the years for
small taxes to fund the purchase and maintenance of this land. Those
are appropriate tools to meet such goals, not timber subsidies!
Open space policies have kept the towns in Boulder County encircled by

prairie and mountains, created wildlife corridors, hiking trails, etc.

Places us recyclers go to recreate!

Anne
Gracestone, Inc.
Boulder, CO