RE: [greenyes] U.S. Trade Policy

Hi Megan ~

The Wisconsin Department of Revenue found that the tax breaks that Wisconsin
provides to forest lands are basically only subsidizing the timber industry.

I believe that if the subsidies were eliminated, the cost of virgin fiber to
the mills would increase and that recyclers would receive a higher price for
their paper. This would make recycling program more economical, resulting in
more scrap paper being recycled, and at the same time reduce the consumption
of fiber.

I am not in favor of giving subsidies; I am instead in favor of imposing
fees that reflect the cost of the environmental externalities.

I would hope that the WTO would take a more aggressive stand against
subsidies.

John