[greenyes] Re: Toronto's plans

David,

A little more info on Toronto's plans: Their zero waste goal does not
include export to Michigan or anywhere else. It's a real zero waste goal.

The open question now is how hard they'll try to reach zero. I participated
in an Ontario forum with City officials two months ago. At that time, they
reported that their pilot organics program (in a couple neighborhoods) is
going well, and they hope for citywide coverage within a couple years.
Their multi-family and business recycling collection programs could use some
work, but they're included in the plans. They'll have investment decisions
to make over the next several years that will be important.

The disturbing part of their presentation is where they go after 60%.
They're now arguing they won't be able to get beyond 60% with traditional
recycling and organics programs, and they'll have to then employ "emerging
technologies." Developers were still promoting an incinerator in the City,
and a landfill in northern Ontario.

This is going to be an interesting program to watch. Toronto now has a lot
of political will to move toward zero waste. They're calculating their
recovery percentages carefully, and taking their progress very seriously.
It's very unclear, though, how far they'll push. And there are powerful
interests pushing back in the other direction. Meanwhile, the environmental
community in Toronto and Michigan will be holding the City's feet to the
fire.
Mike Garfield
Ecology Center
117 N. Division