[greenyes] Keep America Beautiful

CRI would like to respond to an email sent earlier in the week on this
listserve about Keep America Beautiful (KAB).  We invite you to view the
following link on CRI's Bottle Bill Resource Guide to see another side of
Keep America Beautiful.  The first article is a commentary, the second is a
history of KAB. As noted in our commentary, "CRI respects the efforts of
well-intentioned groups and hard-working individuals across the country that
enlist in programs sponsored by Keep America Beautiful and its many
reinventions of itself. We believe that many, if not most of them, are
unaware that they have aligned themselves with a trade group rather than an
environmental organization."

The link can be found at:
http://www.bottlebill.org/MediaCenter/Commentary/KAB.shtml

The following "Great American Cleanup 2003 Official Results" is from the KAB
website.  While cleaning up benefits society and the environment, it is
still a bandaid approach to litter and litter releated costs.  It's like
mopping up a floor while the faucet is still running.  Clean up programs
happen after the fact and there is no end to the clean up.  When financial
incentives exist (such as container deposits) litter is actually prevented,
and an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

GREAT AMERICAN CLEANUP? 2003 OFFICIAL RESULTS

The following are the results of the 2003 Great American Cleanup?, sponsored
by Keep America Beautiful, Inc. and our National Sponsors. These figures
were derived from reports obtained from actual participating organizations,
and describe the extent of their extraordinary accomplishments.

Events/Volunteers
Volunteers participated: 2,340,000
Volunteer hours: 7,020,000
Communities involved/events: 14,000/30,000

Cleanups
Pounds of litter & debris collected: 148,000,000
Miles of roads, streets & highways cleaned: 95,000
Miles alongside RR tracks cleaned: 1,200
Acres of parks cleaned: 148,000
Miles of hiking/biking/nature trails cleaned:3,800
Playgrounds & community recreation areas cleaned, restored, constructed:
4,000
Miles of rivers, lakes & shoreline cleaned: 6,000
Underwater cleanups conducted: 72
Acres of wetlands restored: 9,400
Illegal dumpsites cleaned: 3,500
Junk cars removed: 10,000

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Pounds of clothing collected for reuse: 4,500,000
Bags of aluminum/steel recycled: 460,000
Bags of newspaper recycled: 990,000
Tires collected for recycling: 918,000
Batteries collected for recycling: 30,000

Beautification
Trees Planted: 280,000
Flowers and bulbs planted: 850,000
Homes & Commercial buildings painted: 1,500
Graffiti sites abated: 4,500

Education
Educational workshops held: 4,600
Educational workshop attendees: 455,000