RE: [greenyes] Sorry - as a general lurker
Hi,

When I look to expand our program my first priority is to reduce the toxics going into the landfill.  I then focus on higher volume material.  Of course, as Terri points out, ya gotta have a market.

And, ya gotta have a budget to afford to add most material.  Toxics demand money to pay for proper disposal and most high volume materials demand an increase in collection or [processing capacity.  So, while you often get long term benefits, you have to put up some cash to get things going.  And, with my budget at least, the Council and Mayor have to choose between garbage and child care or some other needed social program when it comes to new spending.

Warmest Regards

George

George P. Dreckmann
Recycling Coordinator
City of Madison, WI

608-267-2626  FAX  608-267-1120
gdreckmann@no.address

"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery.
  None but ourselves can free our minds."
                                                   Bob Marley