Re: [GreenYes] Single-stream ergonomics
Going to single stream processing does not necessarily mean that there will
be more people exposed to repetitive motion injury.  If we are talking about
a system design that is nothing more than a long sorting coneyor belt (and
those systems unfortunately do exist) with scores of sorters positively
sorting all materials, then I suppose this situation will occur.  However,
current single stream system designs that I know about rely heavily on
mechanized separation systems to make the concept work (e.g. separating
fiber from non-fiber materials).  Whatever manual sorting is involved is
either the same as what would be found in two stream sorting systems (e.g.
positive manual sorting to remove a desired material from the sort line)  or
quality control sorting (e.g. catching misses) which should not require as
many movements per minute (otherwise it wouldn't be QC work).

It should be noted that certain MRF sorting systems that have been adopted
within the last 5 - 7 years have actually reduced the amount of manual
sorting required.  One notable example is the use of star or disc screens to
positively sort OCC from OCC rich loads.  What used to take a team of
sorters (let's say 6 - 12 laborers) to process a load now requires a machine
with one (or two at most)QC sorters.

Sincerely,

Roger M. Guttentag
610-584-8836